The Distinctions involving Enrolled Agents and Certified Public Accountants

RSS Author RSS     Views:N/A
Bookmark and Share          Republish
Certified Public Accountants along with Enrolled Agents are generally authorized to prepare income taxes plus defend their customers in front of the IRS. Certainly, there are a few significant differences, nevertheless. Though Enrolled Agents primarily concentrate on taxes, CPA's have a much broader emphasis than just one concentration. Because of their narrow concentration, many Enrolled Agents understand a good deal more about taxes than many CPA's. This may not be true all the time considering the fact that there are CPA's that have settled into a niche that solely involves taxes when they became credentialed.

The National Society of Enrolled Agents (NSEA) defines an Enrolled Agent as a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service for audits, collections, and appeals. To become an Enrolled Agent, professionals have to take a three-part examination from the IRS which includes personal returns, business returns, and representation. Enrolled Agents are licensed to represent clientele in front of the IRS. For example, if you are obligated to pay back taxes, an Enrolled Agent may be able to bargain for an Offer in Compromise (OIC). If the OIC is approved, then you would owe an amount that's under your old amount.

Certified Public Accountants, on the flip side, have a considerably broader emphasis. Their particular emphasis features accounting, auditing, and taxes. Many Certified Public Accountants eventually choose a niche which lies inside any of these. This is the reason why not all CPA's have as much experience with income taxes along with the most recent tax law changes. Even if this is the case, CPA's do have the authority to represent clients in front of the IRS in the same way as an Enrolled Agent. Whenever you decide on a Certified Public Accountant to prepare your taxes and handle your case in front of the Internal Revenue Service, be sure to research your options through finding out how much practical experience he/she has. Choosing a tax adviser is never easy.

Enrolled Agents are likely to be less expensive compared to similar services provided by CPA's and attorneys. If you discover somebody proficient in which that professional has dealt with the IRS in the past, an Enrolled Agent is typically the best choice.

Additionally, always work with local professionals. If you might have an income tax problem, avoid using a company that's frequently seen on TV, the internet, or other types of media (except if they're local obviously). These, like diet products, overpromise and provide poor outcomes. Remember, if something looks way too good to be true, it typically is. As an illustration, should you owe the government some 25 grand, you simply can't get that sum reduced to 'next to nothing' if you're making 200 grand annually through sending in an Offer in Compromise. Conversely, there are occasions where an Offer in Compromise can get accepted and can reduce your liabilities extensively. Like any other creditor, the IRS will take something over not receiving anything.

Bear in mind, shop around whenever seeking a income tax adviser. Get someone you trust but you should not solely depend on one individuals suggestions. On the other hand, don't listen to everyone's advice because there is a lot of misinformation which falls in the too good to be true category.

Report this article
Eileen Jacobs is an accountant and income tax professional from Las Vegas, NV. She has over 30 years of tax and accounting experience.

Bookmark and Share

Ask a Question about this Article