Sialkot District

RSS Author RSS     Views:N/A
Bookmark and Share          Republish
Sialkot DistrictSialkot District or the District of Sialkot, is one of the localities of the Punjab province of Pakistan. It is established in the north-east of the province.The town of Sialkot is the capital of the district.

The famous annals of the District is attached with Raja Salivahan, the reputed founder of the town of Sialkot, and his well renowned child Rasalu.

Pasrur is furthermore an very vintage place. At an early designated day the District dropped to the Rajas of Jammu, and under the Mughals formed the Rechna Doab sarkar of the Subah of Lahore.

Under Shah Jahan the sarkar was entrusted to Ali Mardan Khan, the well renowned technician, who cut into a canal through it to articulate water from the Chenab stream to the imperial flower beds in Lahore.

On the down turn of the Mughal domain Ranjit Singh Deo, a Rajput high ground head, expanded his sway over the lowlands, owning a nominal allegiance to Delhi. In 1748 he moved his allegiance to Ahmad Shah Durrani, who supplemented Zafarwal and two other parganas to his fief.


Before his death in 1773 Ranjit Deo had protected ownership of the entire District, except the Sialkot town and its dependencies, which were held by a Pathan family.

After his death the Bhangi confederacy of the Sikhs took Sialkot from the Pathans, and eventually overran the entire homeland up to the base of the Jammu high grounds, dividing up it amidst a tally of leaders.

These petty States were, although, adhered by Ranjit Singh in 1791 ; and his annexation of Pasrur in 1807 provided him command of the tract, after his general, Diwan Mohkam Chand, had beaten the Sardars of Sialkot at Attari.

During the Indian Rebellion of 1857 the position was denuded of British troops; and the Native regiments which were left behind increased, and, after dismissing the jail, treasury, and guideline court, and massacring some of the European inhabitants, marched off in the direction of Delhi, only to be decimated by Nicholson at Trimmu Ghat.

The rest of the Europeans took refuge in the outpost, and on the forenoon after the escape of the rebels alignment was restored. The only events of interest in the subsequent annals of the District are the plague riots which appeared at the villages of Shahzada and Sankhatra in 1901.


Numerous mounds are dispersed about the District, which assess the sites of very vintage villages and towns. None of them, except that on which the Sialkot outpost stood, has been excavated, but shiny and copper utensils and coins have been cut into up from time to time by villagers.

Most of the coins are those of Indo-Bactrian kings. The excavations in Sialkot disclosed the reality of some vintage bathing tubs, with hot-water pipes of solid masonry. The outpost itself, of which very leather cutting machine little now continues, is not more than 1,ooo years vintage, and is said to have been rebuilt by Shahab-ud-din Ghori at the end of the twelfth century.

In 1859, Gurdaspur, Amritsar and Sialkot were put in the new partition of Sialkot. But in 1884, Gurdaspur along with Amritsar afresh became a part of the Lahore Division.

According to the 1901 census the locality had a community of 1,083,909 and comprised 7 villages and 2,348 villages. The community at preceding three enumerations were: 1,004,695 (1868), 1,012,148 (1881) and 1,119,847 (1891).

The community declined between 1891-1901 by 3.2, the decline being utmost in the Raya tahsil and least significant in Daska. The Chenab Colony was to blame for this drop in community, no less than 103,000 individuals having left to take land in the freshly irrigated tracts.

The locality was subdivided into five tehsils namely: Sialkot, Pasrur, Zafarwal, Raya and Daska. The head villages of the localities were Daska, Jamki, Pasrur, Kila Sobha Singh, Zafarwal and Narowal.[5]


As per Punjab Development Statistics for the year 2000, the community of beef cattle, buffaloes, sheep and goats was 195, 471, 42 and 137 1000 heads respectively. For poultry, there were 954 broiler, 134 grade and 9 breeding poultry ranches, having a rearing capability of 11150, 747 and 63 1000 birds respectively.

The annual accessibility of conceals and coverings is approximated at 536 1000 pieces. In the locality of Sialkot there are 92 tanneries, 244 cowhide garments/products constructing flats, and more than 900 cowhide sports parts constructing units. There inhabits a scope for dairy ranches, animal/poultry feed, and cattle/sheep/goat fattening farms.

District Sialkot is conventionally a centre of sports parts, surgical devices, cowhide goods/garments, cutlery, melodious devices industries. There are furthermore diverse kinds of plastic- and metal-based industries.

In outlook of the dwelling commerce, there inhabits a good scope for material checking lab, forging, electroplating unit, clinic furnishings, disposable syringes, clinic hand-coverings, iron alloy leather adidas jacket furnishings, cast iron alloy pipe, iron alloy pipes/tubes, galvanized iron alloy pipe, developed hand-coverings, and exceptional gist for sports parts industries.

The foremost plantings and crop of locality Sialkot are wheat, rice, citrus and guava. Their signify annual output over the time span 1998-2001 was 453, 242, 6 and 11 1000 Metric Tons, respectively. A kind of vegetables are furthermore developed in the district.

There are 14 wheat flour mills, 57 rice husking flats, one sugar mill, one vegetable ghee unit and one crop juice extract unit actually employed in the district. However, there reside good prospects for rice bran oil, rice husk briquettes, maize goods, dal mills, etc.

Report this article
This article is free for republishing
Source: http://www.a1articles.com/sialkot-district-1061736.html

Bookmark and Share
Republish



Ask a Question about this Article