How Is Electricity Made?

RSS Author RSS     Views:N/A
Bookmark and Share          Republish
How Is Electricity Made?

One of the fossil fuels (usually coal) is burned in a power plant to heat water. The hot water turns into steam and forces a machine called a turbine to turn. The turbine powers a generator into electricity which is sent through power lines to provide energy for buildings of all types.
In summary, coal -hot water -steam -turbine -generator -electricity.

Electricity can also be made from water behind a dam or by windmills. Falling water or rotating windmill blades will cause the turbine to generate electricity.
Electricity is the most useful form of energy .We take it for granted because it is such an important part of our life style. It makes our everyday endeavors convenient and practical.

For example, electricity makes alarm clocks ring in the morning to wake us for school, keeps our food cool in the refrigerator so that cereal tastes good with milk, operates the blow dryer that styles hair, and runs the furnace that blows warm air throughout our homes in the winter to keep us warm.


WHY IS IT IMPORTANT NOT TO WASTE ELECTRICITY?

The conversion of energy from one form to another is covered by a natural law -the Law of Conservation of Energy. This law states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another. This change, however, is one of quantity, not quality As energy does work, it changes from higher (more concentrated) form of energy to a lower form of energy .

For example, of the electrical energy that goes into a typical light bulb, 5% becomes light, the other 95% of the electrical energy is lost as heat. In another example, the chemical energy of gasoline is converted into heat energy in an automobile. A small portion (10%) is converted into mechanical energy that moves the car.

The remaining portion (90%) is lost to the environment. You notice this when you stand near an idling car's engine and feel the heat. This concept helps explain why it is important to save (conserve) energy.

HOW CAN WE SAVE ENERGY?


Energy saved is energy gained for another day! Saving energy will cut down on pollution and help our fossil fuels last longer, at least, until renewable energy sources become more practical.

Conservation is the least expensive source of energy available today. Every bit of electricity that is not used to light a room that no one is in, could be used to operate a computer. Power companies have found that mining this kind of wasted energy is often more profitable than generating more energy.

The amount of energy that a utility can get its users to save can be sold to other users; incentive programs for saving energy turn out to be profitable to the utility companies. Because of peak-use problems, the utility must have enough energy available to satisfy the needs of all users at peak hours. This often means building an entire power plant (or more) just to cover the demand over a 2-4 hour portion of the day. When everyone conserves energy, the utility can meet peak demand without a new plant, and the building and maintenance expenses that it would incur.

Finding a way to do more with less, benefits everyone. Consumers can actively participate in energy conservation through recycling. Some communities have recycling centers and perhaps your school has a site recycling center. Often recycling centers provide containers for gathered materials, handle all the pick-up, and even supply educational materials to boot!

Citizens need to realize that each and every one of us does make a difference. The solution to energy problems will be solved by individuals. While it may seem nebulous we are the ones who need to pass laws or quit polluting, it will be us who will write letters to, and cast votes for, the lawmakers.

Likewise it will be individuals who ride the bus or a bike, instead of driving our own cars. The sum of our individual, daily decisions determines the net outcome of the world’s energy use. We want to encourage an honest effort.

RunGreenPower.com will teach you how to build solar & wind power systems for
your home within a weekend.


Check It Now: Why to Buy DIY solar power Kit?


Report this article
This article is free for republishing
Source: http://www.a1articles.com/how-is-electricity-made-1801372.html

Bookmark and Share
Republish



Ask a Question about this Article